Vocab & Idioms

Get over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the word/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor volition go over anything you do not understand. Exercise creating a sentence or two to make certain yous know how to utilize the discussion/expression properly.

Vocabulary/ Expressions

Nuclear family (north) – a family consisting of the parents and their children
Extended family unit (n) – a family unit that includes grandmothers, grandfathers, aunts, uncles, and cousins in addition to parents and children
Single parent (due north) – someone who has a child or children merely no hubby, wife, or partner who lives with them
Sibling (northward) – a brother or sister
Relative (n) – a member of your family
Grow upwardly (phrasal verb) – to go from being a child to an developed
Divorce (n or five) – a legal process to end a matrimony
Childcare (n) – the intendance of children past a 24-hour interval-intendance centre, babysitter, or other providers while parents are working
Your own mankind and claret (idiom) – a member of your family
Information technology runs in the family (idiom) – an ability that is passed on through the generations

Part 1 Questions

Here are possible questions that might come during the test. Go over them with your tutor.

Family unit

  • How many people are at that place in your family?
  • What do you lot similar to exercise together?
  • Who is your favorite family member?

Part two&iii Questions

Here are possible questions that might come during the test. Go over them with your tutor.

Sample A

Part ii Questions

  • Describe a happy childhood memory. Y'all should say:
    • when information technology happened
    • who was with yous
    • how you felt at the fourth dimension
    • and why you call up this specific time.

Part three Questions

  • What practice role models provide children?
  • How does TV influence children in a bad way?

Sample B

Part 2 Questions

  • Talk virtually a family fellow member y'all admire the almost. You should say:
    • who it is
    • what is their human relationship to you
    • what qualities he/she has
    • and why you adore him/her so much.

Part 3 Questions

  • Why is family unit of import to you?
  • Why do family members argue sometimes?

Sample C

Part 2 Questions

  • Describe a family unit vacation y'all went on. Yous should say:
    • where you went
    • which family members went with yous
    • what you did together while on vacation
    • and how you lot felt nearly the fourth dimension together

Role 3 Questions

  • Why is information technology of import to spend time with family?
  • Is it of import to spend some fourth dimension apart from family?

Sample Answers

Here are some sample answers. Become over them with your tutor.

Office 1 Questions

  • How many people are at that place in your family unit?
    • Besides my mom and dad, I have three siblings to include two brothers and ane sister. I take to say, I'grand the 3rd child to be built-in to some awesome parents.
  • What practise you like to practice together?
    • Since we are all adults and don't live together, we spend very little time together. However, when nosotros reunite information technology'due south commonly for a holiday such every bit Thanksgiving or Christmas.
  • Who is your favorite family unit fellow member?
    • When it comes to family I don't take a favorite, because all of my family members are equally as important, especially my nuclear family unit.

Part 2&3 Answers

Here are some sample answers. Get over them with your tutor.

Sample A

Part 2 Questions

  • Describe a happy childhood memory. You should say:
    • when it happened
    • who was with yous
    • how you felt at the time
    • and why y'all remember this specific fourth dimension.

I accept so many joyful memories of me growing upwards, but sometimes I can't think of them? Hmmm, let me see? This is not exactly a happy memory, but it ended up in a happy way.

I recollect when I was starting 9th course in high school. It was my first year, then I was the new kid on the block along with the residuum of my classmates. My older brother and sister were upperclassmen, therefore I was non nervous or intimidated by the older students. Boy, was I incorrect!

My older blood brother's classmates, especially the women, knew I was the younger brother. On the first twenty-four hour period of schoolhouse, they made it a bespeak to embarrass me past teasing me in front of my fellow classmates, but also my brother. They blew kisses at me and chosen me little Johnny until I was red in the face with embarrassment. I ended up running into the bathroom to get away from it all. I stayed in the bathroom until I heard the bell for classes to brainstorm.

I remember, ummm, peeking out the door to make sure none of my brother's friends were around. After seeing that the coast was clear, I fabricated a mad nuance for my class. I made it just in time, but equally I entered the course, I saw all my classmates laughing at me. They were calling me little Johnny as well!

Looking back on this memory, I would have to say it was probably i of the most embarrassing times in my life. However, it was all in fun and I gained the nickname, Johnny. To this mean solar day, my family and good friends call me Johnny.


Function iii Questions

  • How do role models influence children?
    • This is a good question, and it's important that every child has good role models while growing up. These people ready good examples for children to learn past. Some of these people plow out to be mentors like parents, relatives, or fifty-fifty teachers. A good role model teaches right from wrong, provides back up, and encourages success. Unfortunately, at that place are some bad role models in life, who teach children bad habits like smoking and drinking.
  • How does TV influence children in a bad way?
    • Not all TV programs touch on kids in a negative manner, although I would have to say lots of them are not suitable for children. It seems to me that the content on TV has changed over the years and keeps getting worse. This lone shows kids that maybe violence, profanity, and killing is acceptable in gild.

Sample B

Part 2 Questions

  • Talk well-nigh a family unit member yous adore the near. You should say:
    • who it is
    • what is their human relationship to you
    • what qualities he/she has
    • and why y'all admire him/her so much.

I like this question considering it's easy to answer. It's most definitely my granddad, even though he'due south been dead for almost 30 years.

When I was a teenager he was my hero and I looked upward to him in many ways. I'yard sure he was an idol to many of my other relatives and extended family.

You can say some of the things he accomplished or did in his life, runs in the family. Umm, take me for example. I followed in his footsteps and played football in loftier school and served in the U.S. Ground forces.

He was a compassionate and warm-hearted person who ever took the time to listen and offer his sound communication. Ii of my nearly unforgettable memories of him were, umm, the loan he gave me to buy my first Tv set and watching our favorite sports teams on Television set, umm, in the evenings afterward dinner. Oh, I can't forget to mention all the times he took me angling.

He was liked past everyone and, he had tons of friends. I can still remember the twenty-four hour period we put him to residue. Oh homo, was that day hard on united states. In that location must have been approximately 100 people in attendance at his funeral to include his nuclear and extended family and his loyal friends. To say goodbye to your own flesh and claret who you admired so much was one of the near hard days in my life.


Office iii Questions

  • Why is family important to yous?
    • If you asked me this question when I was younger, my answer would accept been unlike. These days, I admittedly think family is of the utmost importance. They are the backbone of my life, and the principal reason is that I'm divorced and, umm, a single parent. They support my daughter and me through thick and thin. Without them, I would struggle to raise my one and only child.
  • Why do family unit members argue sometimes?
    • I never actually thought virtually this earlier, merely I can retrieve of a few reasons why I argue with my family. Allow's take my daughter as an example. She's simply ten years old, and she thinks everything should be her way. We end up arguing over stupid things such every bit the clothes she is wearing to school. Basically, It boils downwards to families are humans and arguments will happen on occasion.

Sample C

Part 2 Questions

  • Describe a family holiday you went on. You should say:
    • where y'all went
    • which family members went with you
    • what yous did together while on vacation
    • and how you felt about the time together.

This is an interesting question since I just went on a family holiday all but 2 weeks ago. So, I'thou going to talk about my recent getaway with my wife.

The hardest part nigh going on this two-week holiday was trying to find childcare, umm, for our two children. Eventually, my parents, who are retired, decided to look after them. Thank god for your own flesh and claret!

My wife and I went to the tropical islands of Hawaii for a romantic vacation, which was long overdue. We had a fabulous time despite the fact the airlines lost our suitcases. Luckily, we didn't permit it spoil our fun.

The beach resort we stayed at has a breathtaking view of a volcano in the horizon. The only thing I didn't like about it was that in that location were as well many other people on the beach. There was no privacy. I wasn't expecting a individual beach to ourselves. What I meant was, I was expecting at least some infinite between us and the couples as well united states of america. Information technology was similar we were sitting on top of each other.

All in all, I wouldn't merchandise the fourth dimension away with my married woman for annihilation. I'm happy that my siblings recommended the resort to united states of america.


Part iii Questions

  • Why is it important to spend time with family?
    • Time spent with your loved ones is high on my priority list. I for ane cherish the quality time with not just my nuclear family merely also my extended family and good friends. I don't know what I would exercise without them. Equally the saying goes, you never know what y'all accept until, umm, information technology'south gone.
  • Is information technology important to spend some time apart from family?
    • Absolutely, I recollect people should spend some alone time, umm, or time with friends separate from other family unit members on occasion. It doesn't mean y'all don't desire to exist with them or don't love them. Information technology only means absence makes the centre abound fonder. For case, I'm not with my family now and, I tin can't wait to come across them later today.

Wrap-up

Get over any new expressions or vocabulary that you learned today.

cambly-practice-button2